Friday, July 9, 2010

Art Institute: Orientation 1

Welcome to my Blog!!!!
Its Friday!! T.G.I.F Whoo hoo!!! This blog is meant for my experience at the Art Institute of California- San Diego! I am currently enrolled in Associates Degree on Culinary Arts :) Today was the orientation which was really fun. I got to meet the academic advisors and mentors. Not only that, I also got to meet new friends and all the chefs that I'll be working with soon :) The orientation started at 8:30 am so from 8:30 - 9:00 the students checked in. At 9:00 to 9:25, the students got to meet the president, dean, ambassadors and support staff. The staff welcomed the students and just gave us an idea on where we could find them. I noticed that you MUST set an appointment to consult your advisor. It's not a problem but i just think that timing and scheduling is an important issue. The faculty stressed the TIME MANAGEMENT idea.. yup! I'm so blessed that I got to learn TIME MANAGEMENT skills in high school... such a blessing :) I just need to keep it up!!! Good LUCK :p At 9:40-9:45 I went to a technology session, letting us know which computer labs we could use ( mac vs. pc argument) haha and showed us the AI sites to set up our account and AI store online where we could buy ebooks, software, hardware, accessories for a discounted price :) From 10:00 to 10 :15 we went to the career services session which was held at the Palette ( student restaurant). We watched successful AI alumni video and just talked about job search and internships. By 10:20-10:35 we had the student connection session. In this session, the student and staff played LINK. So one will start by introducing themselves and will state something about them or something they like. If you relate to them then you will call out LINK and then you will introduce yourself and say something about you and the concept continues until the last person introduce him/herself. Have you played this before? I think this is an amazing way to mingle and make new friends :) 10:50-12:00 was the highlight of the orientation!!! I met all the CHEFS!!! and they told us about the standards and uniforms. Chef Livingston and Chef Miller just laid out what they expect from us as a student. I had a flashback and remembered my ASB career.. As if Mr. Miller ( ASB director ) was giving the speech... It seems like all leaders speak the same language!! The life lesson that I learned from Mr. Miller was EXACTLY the same lesson that the chef were telling us TODAY!!! Time Management was #1 life lesson that EVERYONE must get accustomed to! ( Easy said than Done), Be there!, Be a good Listener ( Follow Directions), Sanitation Safety, Mis en Place ( French phrase meaning put in place or be ORGANIZED), Be prepared the NIGHT before ( NO PROCRASTINATION), Don't blame others, be accountable for your actions, ACT like a WINNER, Communicate ( Show respect by responding), Be Positive, TRUST, and Lastly Take the Initiative!! Which condenses to 3 fingers which are #1 Have Killer Instinct #2 Have Personal Pride and #3 Have an Over Achieving ATTITUDE ( by Mr. Miller) see the connection? So not only we're going to learn how to cook, we're going to be LEADERS by the time we graduate ... ( wow Im already thinking about that) time flies... Soo make the most out of it! ( I bet you've heard this zillion times) SAVOR every moment.. Tomorrow, I will pick up my supply kit, Uniform and Schedule :) Sooo excited !!!! xoxo LittleMissChef Ileina :)

No comments:

Post a Comment